• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Have you had or have Cancer??? Please Share!

Receptor Bound

Bluelighter
First off, thank you to anyone who has decided to post their information here.

Second, if I posted this thread in the wrong sub-category, please move me into correct location with my deepest apology!!!

Anyway, as a 32 year old relatively healthy male I have been diagnosed with cancer. Quite a kick to the head after simply having a swollen Lymph Node under right arm (location is called the "axilla" or armpit) that was removed in fear of aggressive growth. Turns out that the softball-sized mass was a malignant tumor filled with several cells such as white and red blood cells and the majority of cells belonging to those concluded as active and mummified T-cell lymphocytes.

The above surgery to remove cancerous mass was on June 19th, 2010.

June 21st, 2010 ~ Official diagnosis from tumor biopsy showed: Nodular Sclerosing Hodgkin's Lymphoma

CT-Scans & Blood work for staging showed: Stage IIIIB Aggressive (since the cells have migrated from lymph nodes above my diaphram to lymph nodes below my diaphram.

Additional Blood Work shows no cancer in blood stream as of this time.

Bone marrow biopsy shows no cancer located in the bones or bone marrow at this time.

Prognosis: >60% chance of non-repeating cancer complication (no cancer)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My treatment consists of 'ABVD' chemotherapy (detailed info on these specific Chemo drugs can be found HERE!)every other Wednesday for 4 months (8 total chemo's). After that, radiation therapy to kill off any lingering cell growth...either pinpoint radiation or full-body depending on the situation. I see my oncologist/hematologist each time before I start that week's chemo treatment just to have my lymph node's examined for any changes in size or feel.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am now four chemo treatments down with only four more to go (5th one is later today...it's 1am CST, appt & chemo @ 9:30am CST.

Because I have reached the half-way point in my chemo treatment, my oncologist order some tests to help us (including himself) figure out where I stand right now, whether Chemotherapy is working and if there should be any changes to the forthcoming chemo treatments and radiation therapies. These tests (if anyone cares) that I had done this past week were: PET-CT Scan w/digested contrast; full MUGA (Heart blood inflow/outflow regime amount & timing scan) as well as whether chemo has weakened the walls of the heart any; and lastly, a P.F.T. (Pulmonary Function Test) which is use to read the amount of strength my lungs currently hold during 'blasting', gasping, inhaling fast, exhaling all air I possibly could.

Atleast the Respiratory Therapist who ran the test told me that my lungs do not seem to have any issues and work at the level that they should when compared to a non-smoking male not recieving chemo medications.

***Later today (Aug. 25th 2010) is my 5th chemotherapy. Before that is my oncologist appointment. I'm both eager & a bit scared pertaining to the results the PET scan and MUGA test show. This is a HUGE deal to me and this information can very well plan the near future for me as far as cancer treatment goes. I will know soon enough and I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to share this info w/anyone who would like to know.

In a personal note....I realize that I have a lot of problems in my life, many I have no control over, such as birth defects and government ordered land spraying with pest/herbicide that ultimately affected the Gene make-up of Military Personnel's dependents, such as me...first born to a Vietnam Veteran Vet whom was in active duty throughout the time when Agent Orange was used to kill off dense folliage in areas where the Vietnamese could be hiding or using IED's.

Whatever the reason, I never would of guessed that I was going to have to battle against the 'Big C.' It's eye-widening and life-threatening and has caused me to spend limitless time thinking about my life and those who are close to it....you know, how I've treated them...whether it was right or not.

Hell, if I didn't have the love, support and even monetary assistance from my closest family and friends, I would be in such an awful position.

Thanks for reading!!!

***SO - do you or have you had cancer before? Do you care to share. It would be of MUCH help to me being that I was just diagnosed with cancer in late June. I'm trying to hold it together but sometimes the chemo gets me, sometimes remembering family who have passed due to cancer gets me...it's an emotional time.

Thank you (one last time),
R*B

i'm sorry i don't have any personal experience to offer except of course as a friend or family member of someone who was diagnosed. but i hope to hear of other stories and really appreciate your openess and bravery in posting this here.

my aunt's husband was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2002 also in his early 30's. they discovered it after doctors ran a battery of tests on both of them when they were trying to get pregnant and she was suffering multiple miscarriages. i wasn't fully involved with his treatment and i'm not sure how advanced it was, but i know shortly after he finished therapy, they became pregnant and had a beautiful little girl. they've since had another daughter and he hasn't experienced any further complications.

i can imagine it's a difficult time right now, but it sounds like you've got an amazing support system. just hang in there. <3

I've never had cancer but I did a fair bit of research on it. Have you heard of dichoroacetate?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloroacetate
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10971-cheap-safe-drug-kills-most-cancers.html
There are plenty of people that think this substance had something to do with their remission. This compound is so simple it can be made at home cheaply. Another interesting compound I came across is fucoidan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucoidan
a couple of Japanese scientists demonstrated its ability to trigger apoptosis in cancer cells. Also I was looking into using hydrogen peroxide vapour to cure lung infections and noticed a lot of mention of its potential application in treating cancer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdlA7kjK-4o
From what I've read cancer cells don't use normal cellular respiration and as a result, thrive in lower oxygen environments. By inhaling H2O2 vapour it rapidly enters the blood stream where it is broken down by peroxidases into H2O and O. The O will then bond to another O and form O2 thereby increasing the concentration of oxygen in the blood.

Your prognosis is pretty good but still I believe you have little or nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying various methods of curing yourself on top of the treatment the doctor is recommending. Do the research to find out if its safe or not then go for it. I might be a little overconfident but I wouldn't care too much if I was diagnosed with cancer myself because I believe I can cure it. Dichloroacetate is the first thing I'd try. I study chemistry in uni so if you want to synthesize the compound yourself and need any info I'll help you out.

I also read about a chemical which significantly reduces the amount of damage done to the body by chemotherapy, I can't remember what the chemical was though, when it comes back to me I'll tell you the name of it. I know what you mean about how being faced with what you perceive to be imminent death gets you thinking about all these things. This is why I believe these things are often a blessing in disguise. Even after remission you won't see the world the same way because you've evolved past where you where before. Harsh life experiences seem to catalyze our evolution. Keep us updated on your PET scan and MUGA test results.

Good luck

EDIT: I remember the substance that protects against chemo damage. Its milk thistle. It protects the liver during chemotherapy
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091215172325.htm
You can get a bottle of it in the pharmacy for about $5. I take this stuff all the time as an all round liver tonic because it is probably the most beneficial substance to the liver known by man. Just came across this article too
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,599806,00.html
that reminds me of another substance worth looking into. Sea Buckthorn extract
http://www.drugs.com/npp/sea-buckthorn.html
Its contains some of the most powerful antioxidants known to man and has anti cancer properties. I came across a story a few months ago about a guy who was growing the stuff and decided to give extract to his mother every day when she got cancer and after a few months she went into complete remission.

Last edited: